books

books

Saturday, February 12, 2011

What Do You Mean It's Not Perfect!?

Today, I got my first ever manuscript back from my agent. Of course, I expected nothing but rave reviews, glowing comments on just how perfect it all was and wasn't I absolutely amazing!? Ha. Not likely! The reality of submitting a manuscript is that no matter how perfect you personally think it is the editor is going to burst your little bubble mighty quick!

The email started out saying that after my agent's intern had gone through it, they felt that it would need substantial rewriting before the agent herself would look at it. Hmm. I thought. That doesn't sound good... So, I started reading through the editor's notes and comments. Fortunately, she felt the story itself was solid but there were things in the construction that needed work. Do I necessarily agree with everything she suggested, no. But will I attempt to make the changes? Absolutely! I figure they know the publishing world a whole lot better than I do, so I should trust their expertise. After all, that is why I'm working with an agent as opposed to trying to market the manuscript myself.

So, after I get over the initial shock of not having written the Perfect Novel, I shall buckle down and see what I can do to remedy the situation. My agent's goal is not to rip my ego to shreds but to help me put together the best book possible in the hopes it will sell. I mean, how many times have we all read books that obviously could have used a bit more editing  before being published? That's one of the ongoing complaints about self-published manuscripts - they often cry out for the hand of a good editor!

So, here's to my editor and the hopes I can fulfill her requests so that we both are satisfied with the final product (and that I make billions of dollars and can live the lifestyle of the Rich and Famous!)

No comments:

Post a Comment